irish banknotes Irish paper money Link to Irish papermoney Forum Interlink icon Link to Irishpapermoney main page

Search irishpapermoney.com

Main Page < Old Banknotes <
Agricultural and Commercial Bank - Bank of Ireland - Belfast Bank - Hibernian Bank - National Bank - Northern Bank - Provincial Bank - Ulster Bank

The Provincial Bank of Ireland

1825–1927

Series A 1825 - 1829 - 1856 - Series B 1871 - Series C 1919 - Series D 1920
Series E, F, G, Northern Ireland Issue, commencing 1929


The Provincial Bank of Ireland Ltd.

1825


Founded by Thomas Joplin and others in London in 1825 with 689 shareholders, the Provincial Bank of Ireland opened its first branch in Cork on 1 September 1825. Its primary aim was to introduce English capital into Ireland outside of the Dublin area. It was organised along the lines of the Scottish banks of the day, and imported Scottish expertise. The Provincial bank initially employed La Touche, a private bank, as its agency in Dublin. It opened an office at 60 South William St., Dublin in 1836 where it redeemed its banknotes, but did not issue or re-issue them, in accordance with the law.

The Provincial Bank commenced its initial note issue in 1825. It issued Consolidated Banknotes in 1929, as well as its own Northern Ireland issue.

In 1966 The Provincial Bank of Ireland merged with The Munster and Leinster Bank and The Royal Bank of Ireland to form Allied Irish Banks. The new bank group retained the Provincial Bank identity in Northern Ireland and continued to issue banknotes there as the Provincial Bank of Ireland until 1981 when it issued banknotes under the title of Allied Irish Banks. It changed its title to First Trust Bank in 1994, and still continues to issue its own notes under that title.




www.irishpapermoney.com • Version 2.1.0 • Last update • COPYRIGHT ©2000, 2009, 2015, M Mac Devitt. Reproduction with citation permitted.